Click here to enter my other blog: Jane Austen's World.

Sunday, April 12

Jane Austen Character Throwdown: Sense or Sensibility?

Edward Ferrars was your preferred Man of the Cloth by a good margin last week. We now pit two sisters against each other: Elinor and Marianne. Which do you prefer? Prose or poetry? Linen or lace? Sense or Sensibility? Let the votes begin! (Oh, and Happy Easter!)

Sense or Sensibility?

Elinor Dashwood

Only nineteen years old, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Dashwood is a sensible, restrained, loyal, and affectionate young woman. She holds her feelings inside as she supports her grieving mother and willful sister. Elinor's restraint serves as a barrier, preventing others from helping her at a time when she needs it most. Elinor is the glue that holds her family together, but at her own expense. Her reticense in sharing her feelings - which are deep - isolates her and forces her to deal with her own sorrows even as she shoulders other peoples' burdens. Elinor's quiet personality draws people to her, but with time, she will need to learn to open up to others, even to her husband, or she will be doomed to suffer her travails alone.

Marianne Dashwood

Very pretty and talented, seventeen-year-old Marianne lives life to the full. She wears her heart on her sleeve, with everyone knowing her thoughts on any topic at any time. Willful, impulsive, and spoiled, she possesses a loving nature and truly cares for her family. Had she known about Elinor's internal struggle over Lucy Steele and Edward Ferrars, she would have supported her sister as much as her sister supported her. Marianne's star quality brightens a room the moment she enters it. Indications are that with time she will learn to restrain her impulses and mature into an interesting and loving woman.

pollcode.com free polls
Jane Austen Character Throwdown: Sense or Sensibility?
Elinor Dashwood Marianne Dashwood

10 comments:

Nonna said...

I am a combination of the two sisters but when I read any book, I focus in on one female character, I become her as I read and see the whole story from her viewpoint, whether the author intended that or not.

I must choose Marianne because I cared more for her than any other character and her passionate, loving nature is open, honest and lovely to behold !

Anonymous said...

This is TOO difficult. There is no way I could choose between the two. I could choose between either of them and any other Austen heroine, but not between the sisters.

Faith said...

Elinor for sure. Self-command is such a beautiful trait to have. My sister is a Marianne type, and she exhausts me.

Nigel said...

Phewww!
Tough call also because the Dashwood siters are really hot chicks!

Can't I have them both?

Hhmmm! I will have to go with Marianne then because I think she would be the most willing to try surfing and dare I say it? dress as an easter bunny for me *big smiles.*

RuYanda said...

I choose Elinor (mostly because I found her similar to myself).

I think Marianne is annoying at times... probably because I saw many people like her around me.

sweetly lovely afternoon said...

I admire Ms. Elinor for her ability to care deeply and love quietly. However, I'm quite pleased Ms. Marianne takes great delight in her wide-eyed, free-thinking, hoplessly romantic ways. One shouldn't grow up to quickly.

KT said...

I wish I could be more like marianne, I definately choose her because she's one of my favorite austen heroines!

Sandi said...

I chose Elinor because I admire her strength of mind. She tries, so hard!, to do the right thing, and utterly without the support or often even the knowledge of those who should love and support her most.

Edward doesn't deserve her. :)

Barbara said...

First of all I'd like to compliment you on your blog. I'm a huge Jane Austen fan (I even had a wedding dress in regency style because of her ;) ) and I will certainly come by again.

Actually, I'm not sure which one of the Dashwood sisters I like more - I'm probably more like Elinor, but I have a little of Marianne as well :)

Charleybrown said...

I love Marianne's spontaneity and zest for life but I definitely have more in common with Elinor. As for the two of them together, they rank high as my favourite set of sisters!