Click here to enter my other blog: Jane Austen's World.

Friday, July 17

Has Quirk Classics Gone Too Far? Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters

The follow-up to Quirk Books' best seller, 'Pride and Prejudice and Zombies' is ... Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters. The book expands the original text of the beloved Jane Austen novel with all-new scenes of giant lobsters, rampaging octopi, two-headed sea serpents, and other biological monstrosities. As the story opens, the Dashwood sisters are evicted from their childhood home and sent to live on a mysterious island full of savage creatures and dark secrets. While sensible Elinor falls in love with Edward Ferrars, her romantic sister Marianne is courted by both the handsome Willoughby and the hideous man-monster Colonel Brandon.



Can the Dashwood sisters triumph over meddlesome matriarchs and unscrupulous rogues to find true love? Or will they fall prey to the tentacles that are forever snapping at their heels? This creative portrait of Regency England blends Jane Austen’s biting social commentary with ultraviolent depictions of sea monsters biting. It’s survival of the fittest-and only the swiftest swimmers will find true love! (Irreference)

Ben H. Winters, the coauthor of Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters (Jane Austen is the primary author) is a writer based in Brooklyn. The book will be in stores on 9/15/09. For more information, visit this link: www.quirkclassics.com. Video written and directed by Ransom Riggs, and stars Martin Roe and Michelle Page. Grand Central Press will soon publish Seth Grahame-Smith's "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter."


So, gentle reader, please give us your opinions. Has Quirk Classics gone too far? Or is this all a lark and just in fun? Here are our opinions:


18 comments:

Barbara said...

Well, I certainly do not need this. This is not even funny, but just very weird!

becca said...

I frankly am more surprised by the excited comments left on various sites by people eager to read this novel. The author states that only 60% of this book was written by Jane Austen, which means this book will be so much worse than P&P and Zombies, which kept 80% of Jane's writing.

morgan said...

I personally think that this is a good idea. I know that I have a lot of friends who would not normally read Jane Austen, but would read something like this. It can spark interest in some people who would pay Austen no mind at any other given time. I think it is a valiant effort, as well as an excellent source of amusement for Jane Austen fans.

Unknown said...

This author obviously doesn't know Jane very well. Clearly Persuasion would be more appropriate for sea monsters.

Kals said...

Oh wow, I'm so glad someone here feels that this is pushing it too much! I didn't read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies and I'm sure not going to read this or any other weird book that follows.

Anonymous said...

I have mixed feelings, and can't decide whether it's a neat way to introduce more readers to the classics or a gimmicky way to capitalize on the popularity of Jane. I wish they would pick a different other than her, to see what the main selling point is.

Nonna said...

I think it's a little too "fishy" for my tastes !

Livi said...

My opinion is that they went to far when they wrote "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies".

trudereads said...

I realy, truly just so DON'T like this.
It's not even funny or interesting.
Defenitly not my taste

SakiVI said...

This looked awesome! Wish they'd make it into a film. :)

bumblebeesies said...

Why are they doing this to such great books? Its not even funny. I think they should stop, its moronic.

Anonymous said...

I read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. And I have read the original by Jane Austen and although I love Jane Austen, the book was so much fun. It was amusing and I don't think it is making fun or bashing the classics in any way but putting a comedic twist on it. If you don't like it; don't read it. It was just a fun twist on the book.

MiaFashionista said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

It's nice for a good laugh in the first chapter but then, if you have conscience at all you won't have anything more to do with something so disrespectful.

Anonymous said...

People like whatever people like. I enjoyed P&P&Z a lot.
I have just started on S&S&S. Can't really see how anyone could have a problem with it. If someone enjoys reading it then leave them be. There is no "Too far" in literature, and never should there be.

Katy said...

I haven't read Pride and Prejudice but I did read P&P&Z, it really made me want to read the original. I love plots like that one but they bore me WAY to easily. In my oppinion these books are great at keeping the reader's attention throughout the whole book.

Anonymous said...

My friend just got me P&P&Z for my birthday, looks boring.

Anonymous said...

First of all, don't leave comments on how dumb it is, that just shows that your mind is as closed as the box you live in. For people like me that like to think outside the box, these books are great. I am in the middle of P&P&Z and am thoroughly enjoying it. Keep an open mind people, if its not something you would be interested in reading, then don't but seeing as in made a best-seller list, apparently you aren't the only ones in the world that matter.