Click here to enter my other blog: Jane Austen's World.

Saturday, July 5

Where Are They Now? Dominic Cooper

Mamma Mia! The Movie boasts two Jane Austen movie adaptation alumni: Colin Firth and Dominic Cooper.

The film is about a recently engaged young woman (Amanda Seyfried) who wants what every girl wants at her wedding: to be given away by her father. She reads her mother's diary and finds the names of three candidates (Colin Firth, Pierce Brosnan, and Stellan Skarsgard). All the men had a relationship with her mother (Meryl Streep) around the time she was conceived. And thus a plot was born. Throw in a few ABBA songs, and you have a musical. Dominic Cooper plays the fiancee, and from what I understand, his shirt is missing in over half the movie. In a recent interview, both Colin and Dominic made a few observations about their singing:

Firth said that the film had been “by turns delightful and mortifying”. He added: “Once I fully understood the script, which took a while, I did it on the basis that it was going to be fun. Then I got called in and found myself singing in front of Björn (Ulvaeus) and Benny (Andersson). It was sheer terror at that point.”

Firth had sung before, although almost all of his performances had taken place in the shower. “And I have never really sung as myself. When I’m singing Johnny Cash to myself, I’m really doing him.

Cooper said that he had spent a lot of time pretending not to know any Abba. Then a former girlfriend sent him a VHS tape of himself singing Money, Money, Money, word perfect at the age of 13. “It’s sort of been the back-drop of my life,” he said. (Times Online)


Dominic has been a busy boy since he played Willoughby in Sense and Sensibility. According to IMbD, some of his upcoming movie projects include: David Copperfield (2008) (pre-production), Brief Interviews with Hideous Men (2008) (post-production), An Education (2008) (post-production), and The Duchess (2008) (completed).
Posted by Ms. Place

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Going to have watch this movie. Can not quite get my head round Jame Bond (Pierce Brosnan)being in a film of this nature.