Click here to enter my other blog: Jane Austen's World.

Saturday, July 5

Where Are They Now? Dominic Cooper

Mamma Mia! The Movie boasts two Jane Austen movie adaptation alumni: Colin Firth and Dominic Cooper.

The film is about a recently engaged young woman (Amanda Seyfried) who wants what every girl wants at her wedding: to be given away by her father. She reads her mother's diary and finds the names of three candidates (Colin Firth, Pierce Brosnan, and Stellan Skarsgard). All the men had a relationship with her mother (Meryl Streep) around the time she was conceived. And thus a plot was born. Throw in a few ABBA songs, and you have a musical. Dominic Cooper plays the fiancee, and from what I understand, his shirt is missing in over half the movie. In a recent interview, both Colin and Dominic made a few observations about their singing:

Firth said that the film had been “by turns delightful and mortifying”. He added: “Once I fully understood the script, which took a while, I did it on the basis that it was going to be fun. Then I got called in and found myself singing in front of Bj√∂rn (Ulvaeus) and Benny (Andersson). It was sheer terror at that point.”

Firth had sung before, although almost all of his performances had taken place in the shower. “And I have never really sung as myself. When I’m singing Johnny Cash to myself, I’m really doing him.

Cooper said that he had spent a lot of time pretending not to know any Abba. Then a former girlfriend sent him a VHS tape of himself singing Money, Money, Money, word perfect at the age of 13. “It’s sort of been the back-drop of my life,” he said. (Times Online)


Dominic has been a busy boy since he played Willoughby in Sense and Sensibility. According to IMbD, some of his upcoming movie projects include: David Copperfield (2008) (pre-production), Brief Interviews with Hideous Men (2008) (post-production), An Education (2008) (post-production), and The Duchess (2008) (completed).
Posted by Ms. Place

1 comment:

Jake said...

Going to have watch this movie. Can not quite get my head round Jame Bond (Pierce Brosnan)being in a film of this nature.