Click here to enter my other blog: Jane Austen's World.

Tuesday, March 24

Matthew MacFadyen & Sonnet 29


Matthew MacFadyen returns to the small screen as Arthur Clennam in Little Dorrit, to be shown in 5 installments on PBS's Masterpiece Classic starting March 29. He has been quite busy since his turn as Mr. Darcy in 2005, starring in Ashes to Ashes, Death At a Funeral (a quirky comedy which will be remade into an American film soon), and Frost/Nixon. Click here to read our reviews of Little Dorrit.

In this YouTube clip, hear Matthew's marvelously unforgettable voice as he recites Shakespeare's Sonnet #29, one of three poems he recorded for a DVD.



In this last clip, hear Rufus Wainwright sing the words to Sonnet #29 to scenes from Pride and Prejudice 2005.

5 comments:

Maria Grazia said...

I love Shakespeare's sonnets. My favourite one is ...

Let me not to the marriage of true minds
Admit impediments. Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove:
O no! it is an ever-fixed mark
That looks on tempests and is never shaken;
It is the star to every wandering bark,
Whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken.
Love's not Time's fool, though rosy lips and cheeks
Within his bending sickle's compass come:
Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks,
But bears it out even to the edge of doom.
If this be error and upon me proved,
I never writ, nor no man ever loved...

Do you remember Marianne/Kate Winslet & Willoughby/Greg Wise reciting it together?

Anonymous said...

Matthew Macfadyen...is so...HOT.
I agree with Maria Grazia, I looove that sonnet :).

Mary (Bookfan) said...

Thanks for the videos. What a nice way to start my day : )

Stephanie Perkins said...

Wow, thank you for this post! Rufus Wainwright is one of my favorite musicians, and it's so fascinating to see a visual interpretation of the sonnet. And read by MR. DARCY of all people!

Thanks for making my day :)

Charleybrown said...

What is it about the Brits that they could read aloud the phone directory and it would hold my attention? I watched all 3 of the poetry videos by Matthew and I'm wondering if I leave some plums in MY icebox, if he might come to partake and then recite some poetry for me???
Thanks for the link!