Click here to enter my other blog: Jane Austen's World.

Monday, January 24

Jane Austen Has Visited Brideshead

Reading Brideshead Revisted, who did I find? Miss Austen, of course! In chapter two, third volume, the character Anthony Blanche gives examples of what is more English above all to the protagonist,
Charles Ryder:
“The next thing I saw was your very handsome volume – “Village and Provincial Architecture”, was is it called? Quite a tome, my dear, and what did I find? Charm again. “Not quite my cup of tea,” I thought; “this is too English.” I have the fancy for rather spicy things, you know, not for the shade of the cedar tree, the cucumber sandwich, the silver cream-jug, the English girl dressed whatever English girls do wear for tennis – not that, not Jane Austen, not M-m-miss M-m-mitford.
Phoebe Nicholls as Cordelia Flyte, Brideshead Revisited, 1981
Brideshead Revisited, is a wonderful book by Evelyn Waugh, and if you have the opportunity watch the 1981 series with Jeremy Irons in the role of Charles Ryder, Anthony Andrews as Sebastian Flyte, and Laurence Olivier (Mr. Darcy, 1940) as Lord Marchmain, you have watched an unforgettable mini-series.  In the role of lovely Cordelia Flyte is the actress Phoebe Nicholls, playing the role of lovely Cordelia Flyte. More than a decade later, she portrayed Elizabeth Elliot in Persuasion (1995).
Phoebe Nicholls as Cordelia Flyte and Elizabeth Elliot.
More information:
Posted by Raquel Sallberry, Jane Austen em Português

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Another classic to add to my (always growing) reading list.

I like the cream jug. :P

Paul said...

I love the 1981 Brideshead Revisited miniseries

By the way, there is a lovely piece of music I composed in tribute to BR entitled "Always Aloysius" at my website

Jenny Allworthy said...

Rather funny that the character of Cordelia Flyte in the recent 2008 Emma Thompson version of Brideshead Revisited was acted by Felicity Jones, who was of course, Catherine Morland in Northanger Abbey 2007. Another connection!

Love your post. Anthony B-b-b-blanche needs Lionel Logue! I should reread this as I really enjoyed the book and I have been to Castle Howard since I read it the first time.

Raquel said...

Renate,

I think you will the book

Raquel said...

Paul,

how lovely your tribute to Aloysius!

Raquel said...

Jenny,

you are absolutely right, Anthony Blance needs Mr. Loghe!